Emeco's Environmental Policies
Emeco is a leader when it comes to chair fabrication. We are committed to sustainability and protecting our environment. Emeco uses post consumer and post industrial waste to create chairs intended to last decades. Our aluminum chairs are made to last at least 150 years. Emeco is committed to minimizing our impact on the environment by choosing materials, methods and processes that offer the least risk to our environment. We utilize the best available control technologies to reduce air emissions where needed, recycling waste and used materials at every opportunity, eliminating other impacts to the environment, such as releases to surface water, and reducing the carbon footprint of our products to minimum achievable levels.
We strive to improve the energy efficiency of our operations in all areas. In addition to reducing energy consumption, whenever possible we select energy sources that have the lowest impact on the environment, such as electricity from renewable resources. These policies are part of our effort to reduce the carbon footprint of our products. With this goal in mind, we also consider the carbon footprint impact in all critical decisions, such as using recycled aluminum in the manufacturing of our products.
Selected initiatives supporting our policy:
- Emeco's products are manufactured in the US.
- The Emeco factory in Hanover PA conforms to all applicable US, State and Local environmental requirements.
- Emeco uses clear coat anodizing as the surface finishing method for most of our products. This not only significantly reduces particulate emissions, but also produces no volatile organic carbons (VOCs) in the application of the finish.
- All welding machines have internal cooling systems to reduce water consumption by 15%
- Advanced lighting technologies are installed throughout our manufacturing operations resulting in a 24% annual reduction in electrical consumption rate.
- 80% of our aluminum raw materials come from a recycled source.
- Of the recycled aluminum, half is post consumer (soft drink cans) and half is postindustrial (manufacturing scrap). Chairs made out of virgin aluminum have an energy density that is 17 times higher than that of Emeco chairs.
- Emeco's aluminum scrap generation-rate is approx. 6% annually by weight.
- Emeco Manufacturing returns 100% of aluminum scrap to recyclers.
- Emeco all-aluminum chairs are 100% recyclable.
- Emeco's 111 Navy Chair contains 65% rPET plastic.
- 100% of the PET used comes from a post consumer recycled source.
- Emeco's rPET chairs are 100% recyclable.
- Whenever possible, Emeco uses sustainable timber and water based stain finishes on our wood components.
No product can be LEED™ Certified; certification is only granted to the entire building or interior. A project is LEED™ Certified by qualifying for credits that accrue when environmentally sound choices are made in the design and building process. Product choices can help the project qualify for LEED™ Certification by being environmentally sound. Some jurisdictions require new construction to have a minimum number of LEED™ Credits.
Specifying Emeco aluminum furniture contributes to credit #2.1, Construction Waste Management because Emeco uses 100% recyclable shipping and packing materials.
Specifying the Emeco 111 Navy Chair ® contributes to credit #4.2, Recycled Content because it is made of 65% post consumer recycled material.
Specifying Emeco aluminum furniture contributes to credit #4.2, Recycled Content because it is made of between 80% recycled aluminum; 40% post consumer recycled material and 40% post industrial recycled material.
Specifying Emeco furniture contributes to credit #5.1, Regionally Manufactured Materials when shipped projects within 500 miles of our Hanover, PA facility – cities on the East Coast from Boston through Washington, DC. In addition, the recycled aluminum used in Emeco products is processed in Baltimore, MD, adding another credit contribution.
Specifying the Emeco 111 Navy Chair contributes to credit #5.1, Regionally Manufactured Materials when shipped projects within 500 miles of our Lenoir, NC facility – cities on the East Coast from Washington, DC through Miami. In addition, the recycled PET plastic used in the Emeco 111 Navy Chair® is processed in Spartanburg, SC, adding another credit contribution.
Aluminum does not emit VOCs or aldehydes in any measurable concentration, therefore off gassing requirements are not applicable.
LEED™ (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is a division of the US Green Building Council, a government sponsored organization whose goal is to promote environmentalism in the building industry. For more information visit www.usgbc.org